Tuesday 28 August 2012

I Went to a Fairy Party and This is What I Saw...


I have to admit, when I was invited to my good friend’s 16th birthday party and read it was a fairy theme, I was more than excited. A bit of an unconventional theme for a 16 year old but nonetheless fun. Of course I jumped at the chance to re-live my six year old glory days where my fairy party was THE talk of grade one (I’m being serious, it was amazing).  

Anyway, upon arrival on day of party I was a little nervous. It looked as if the ominous clouds were threatening to burst open and drench us all. But it wasn’t to be. It must have been the magic in the air, for the day soon transformed into an image of perfection. This was no ordinary 16th birthday celebration.

Fairy wands and intricate costume make-up were the order of the day. Hugs and squeals of ‘Oh my God, you look so cute,’ were the standard greeting and there was not a teenage scowl in sight. Perhaps it was the flashback to youth that added to the festive cheer.
A round of good old hide and seek was enough to keep us entertained that day. We were just glad to be in each other’s company. There were gasps of ‘ooh’ and ‘ah’ as the birthday girl opened her presents and smiles of relief as she announced her adoration for each gift received. What a refreshing sight. An entire group of teenagers who were all getting along and who didn’t need alcohol to have a good time. Who’d have thought?


I guess sometimes it’s more fun to escape back to your childhood, even if only for a few hours. At the conclusion of the party we made a decision. ‘We should have fairy parties more often, just because.’ Nods of agreement all around. And with that, the fairies left and re-entered the world of reality.   

No comments:

Post a Comment