Thursday 8 November 2012

Back to the gym :)



Last week I made the tremendously difficult decision to return to competitive gymnastics training. Now, before you start thinking that all gymnasts do are roly polys and cartwheels, think again. Not only am I returning to 20 + hours per week of training, I have to make up for the five month break I took from the sport. Needless to say, after my first training back in the gym I felt as though I had torn every muscle in my body. I am not even joking!!!

I soon discovered upon my return that I was more than a little bit out of shape. I only managed seven chin-ups, where I once could do 15. My hands were sore on bars after just 10 minutes, despite once being able to manage a 40 minute session on the apparatus. I literally thought I wouldn’t be able to make the trek up our house stairs once I arrived home that night.

So, why did I choose to go back if I am so unfit?? It’s simple really. Once you are a competitive gymnast, you’re a gymnast for life. The countless hours of training are so worth it when you get a great result at a national level competition and I missed the feeling of having a supreme level of fitness. Then there’s that feeling as you sail through the air mid-tumble. It is a legitimate addiction. Gymnastics is ultimately my passion. I know I have a lot of hard work ahead of me, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. It feels so good to be back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment